Monday, March 5, 2007

Week Four

Color:
If math could be a color, I think it would be red just because I think red is a warm color and math is lively to me. Its a subject that brings about many emotions to many people and I think red is the basic feeling it brings to people. When people get frustrated and angry with a problem, I would think that the color is more red for that and when people finally figure it out and realize that the method they used was correct well I would probably think more red for me just because if I managed to figure it out then I feel passionate about it and thats just red to me.

Food:
If math could be a food, it would be spaghetti. Spaghetti can be used to represent practically any problem in basic arithmatic to applied mathematics situations. Obviously spaghetti can be used for adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, fractions. Spaghetti is also a line which can be used for graphs! And if spaghetti is a line then we can prove that we can find the slope of spaghetti and the area under its curve, derivatives, intregals, curvature and so much more!
When cooked, spaghetti can be used for its flexibility to test knots, strength, and a large possibility of other applications for analysis.
When uncooked, it can be used to test the strength of a beam as a tiny model but these applications can be used to relate back to real world problems.
You could probably use the whole process of cooking spaghetti as an interesting project for random packing too! The possibilities are endless.
At the very least, it makes an ok snack when studying. I would prefer chocolate but I've tried to relate math and chocolate before and that didn't turn out too exciting.

Animal:
If math could be an animal, it would be a leopard for me. I could say it would be a fuzzy white bunny that would represent the fibonacci sequence or an octopus that would represent the eight branches of math but I kindof see math as more of a fierce wild feline that can't really be tamed and kindof has its own rules that shouldn't be broken unless you are prepared for the deep consequences of doing the cat wrong. Also, there is always the possibility of counting the spots and doing some math problems based on them.

1 comment:

John said...

Hi Lucero,

I really like your discussion of color, food, and animal. I never thought of spaghetti in quite that way. I remember reading an article about twenty years ago on analog computers. There was an example of using spaghetti to sort numbers. Don't remember quite how it worked, but it was cool. If you find out, let me know! Red would have been my choice as well.